Kudos To My Guitar


What do you think of when you think of a guitar? If you want to think by the textbook, a guitar is an instrument with 6 strings, curved sides, and a hole in the middle that you pluck or strum to make sound. But personally, it's quite a bit more.




If there's one thing I learned in English this past year it's that symbols are everywhere. They can be big or small, prominent or hidden. They can be in literature or in speech. They can be fictional, and they can be very real.



I acquired this guitar in 7th grade when one of my older brothers went to college. Since then I've taken lessons on and off. I've gone through periods where I play and even longer periods when I don't. I can't play an entire song because I don't know how. I'm still mastering the art of switching between chords in a nano second. And I am still fully in love with my guitar as I was when it was gifted to me.


My guitar sits by the entrance to my closet, leaning up against my armoire. Not a day goes by that I don't look at it at least once, and everytime I do, I smile. When I look at my guitar, a million thoughts run through my head. It motivates me to learn, to try new things, to appriciate small things, and to reach for the stars. It reminds me of my passion for music and adventure. It gives me hope that one day I will be doing what I love and following my heart no matter where it may lead. Everytime I pick up my guitar, my heart starts to beat a little faster. When I begin strumming everything around me seems to disappear. The past and the future don't exist. The pressures of life melt away. I don't have to worry about what I'm going to do with my life or how I'm going to do it.  In that moment, as cliche as it may sound, I truly feel infinite.




Who would've thought that and old acoustic guitar could represent so much? I would have never thought that when my brother handed me that guitar that it would ever gain such importance and meaning in my life. And now that I understand why this guitar means so much to me, I can look at the world around me with a deeper meaning. Now and again, I can look at people and see that sparkle in their eye. And I know they've found their guitar.  

I've also come to realize that we live in a world full of symbols, so we must be mindful. Because some things mean a little more to different people.


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© That Chick Named Sarah. Design by Fearne.