(Healthy + Delicious) Lemon Poppyseed Scones


It's no secret that I love lemon-poppyseed anything. It's just one of those trusty, go-to, the probability of this being bad is slim to none combinations. I have also been tidying up my dietary habits by eating cleaner. So when I stumbled upon this recipe, I knew it was time to break out the apron. 

Now I am by no means the savviest or adept chef, but I can navigate my way around a kitchen...most of the time. This being my first time making scones instead of just eating them, I am pleasantly surprised at this culinary success. 

Ingredients
1 1/2  cups whole wheat (or GF) flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tsp poppyseeds 
A pinch of salt 
1 tbsp lemon zest 
2 tbsp butter, cold
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
3 tbsp agave nectar (or honey)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp soy milk (or milk of choice)


Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425° and line baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, poppyseeds, and lemon zest in a medium mixing bowl.


3. Slice butter into thin pads and cut into the flour mixture (using a pastry cutter and/or knife) until the mixture is crumbly.

4. Stir in Greek yogurt, agave, lemon juice and vanilla.


5. Roll dough into a ball and flatten into a 1 inch tall circle. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 8 slices.

6. Gently separate and distribute each slice evenly on baking sheet and brush tops with milk.


7. Bake at 425° for 16-19 minutes or until the tops begin to turn golden brown.

8. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.


VERDICT:
For it being my first time making scones I would call this a delicious culinary success. Now I don't have much prior scone eating experience to compare this to, so this may not be the most accurate review. I do believe I baked them too long but other than that I would say that everything went well. The batch was gone within 4 days and I only got 2 so I think they were a hit with my family. I added some powdered sugar to the top just to make them a bit sweeter to satisfy the rest of my family's enormous sweet tooth. I thought they were good either way.

 I'm sure you all are much more cultured when it comes to scones so if you decide to give this recipe a try, let me know how it turns out! All the love.







Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© That Chick Named Sarah. Design by Fearne.